On gaining the FRCS (Tr&Orth) in 2007 and successful completion of training with addition onto the Specialist Register, further specialist knowledge and experience was gained on 2 fellowships. The first of which was a year in Ireland under supervision of Mr Ray Moran gaining extensive exposure to the management of sports knee injuries and anterior cruciate ligament surgery. The subsequent year was spent in The Mater Hospital, Sydney, Australia in a busy hip and knee joint replacement facility.
On completion of this post in 2009 he returned to set up a practice based in The Sports Surgery Clinic, Dublin, to concentrate solely on the management of knee conditions and injuries.
Education & Experience
- Kings College, London. BSc (Hons) 1994, MBBS (Lon) 1997
- Basic Surgical Training: London 1997-2001
- MRCS (Eng) 2000
- AO Trauma Fellow – Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, USA. 2006
- Diploma sports and exercise medicine (UK), 2007.
- Higher Surgical Training: The London Deanery, UK. 2002-2008
- FRCS (Tr&Orth) 2007
- Knee Fellow – Cappagh National Orthopaedic Hospital & Sports Surgery Clinic, Dublin, Ireland. 2007-2008
- Arthroplasty Fellow – Sydney Hip & Knee Surgeons, Mater Hospital, Sydney, Australia. 2008-2009
Research & Publications
- Mid-term results of third generation alumina on alumina ceramic bearings in cementless total hip arthroplasty. A ten year minimum follow-up. E. Yeung, P Thornton-Bott, R. Chana, M. P. Jackson et al. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2012;94 138-44.
- The role of patient factors and implant position in squeaking of ceramic-on-ceramic total hip replacements. S. A. Sexton, E. Yeung, M. P. Jackson et al J Bone Joint Surg Br 2011;93-B 439-442
- The effect of obesity on the outcome of hip and knee arthroplasty.Yeung E, Jackson M, Sexton S, Walter W, Zicat B, Walter W.Int Orthop. 2011 Jun;35(6):929-34.
- Timing of reconstruction of the anterior cruciate ligament in athletes and the incidence of secondary pathology within the knee. J. Kennedy, M. P. Jackson, P. O’Kelly, and R. Moran. J Bone Joint Surg Br 2010;92-B 362-366
- Ceramic-on-ceramic bearing surface and risk of revision due to dislocation after primary total hip replacement S. A. Sexton, W. L. Walter, M. P. Jackson, R. De Steiger, and T. Stanford J Bone Joint Surg Br 2009;91-B 1448-1453
- The impact of obesity on the mid-term outcome of cementless fixed bearing total knee arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg (Br) 2009: 91B: 1037-1043
- The effect of obesity on the mid-term survival and clinical outcome of cementless total hip replacement. Joint Surg Br 2009;91-B 1296-1300
- Superior pole sleeve fracture following patellar stabilisation. Brennan S, Walls R, Jackson MP, Moran R. Knee. 2009 Jun;16 (3):235-7.
- Chessiar K, Jackson MP, Brewin J, Butler-Manuel A. Results of retrograde nailing for supracondylar total knee replacement peri-prosthetic fractures. Int Orthopaedics; 2009 33(4): 981.
- Sampson M, Jackson MP, Moran R et al. 3T MRI for the diagnosis of meniscal and anterior cruciate ligament pathology: a comparison to arthroscopic findings. Clin Radiol 2008 63(10): 1106-11.
- Moran R, Jackson MP, Falvey E. “Better outcomes for sports injuries” The Irish Medical Times 18/04/2008.
- Dodd L, Jackson MP, Varma R: Poller blocking screws and intramedullary nailing in tibial malunion. Annals Royal College Surgeons England; 2007 89(8): 816-8.
- McGillion S, Jackson MP, Lahoti O: Arthroscopically assisted treatment of triplanar distal tibial injuries. Journal of Paediatric Orthopaedics B; 2007 16(5):313-316.
- Rudol G, Jackson MP, James SE: Tibial plateau fracture complicating unicompartmental knee arthroplasty. Journal of Arthroplasty; 2007 22(1) 148-150.
- Hussein R, Jackson MP, Hinves B. Long term results of the ABG1 hip. Hip International 2006; 16(2) 179-183 (Abstract).
- Jackson MP and Clasper J. “The floating metacarpal”-fracture dislocation of the head and base of the index metacarpal. Injury. 2005; 36(4) p87-89.
- Gossop M, Keaney F, Sharma P, Jackson MP. The unique role of diamorphine in British medical practice: a survey of general practitioners and hospital doctors. Eur Addict Res. 2005; 11(2):76-82.
- Jackson MP and Singh D. Total ankle replacement. Current Orthopaedics 2003; 17 (4) 292-298.
- Jackson MP, Philp B, Powell BWEM, Murdoch L: High frequency oscillatory ventilation to treat severe paediatric inhalation injury. Burns 2002; 28(5) 509-511.
- Jackson MP, Nussey S, and Mudan S: Metformin induced lactic acidosis. Clinical Intensive Care 2000; 11(4).
The Sports Surgery Clinic
With enhanced patient diagnosis, treatment and recovery times, the SSC offers in one location, a rapid access facility for screening, diagnosis, rehabilitation, and surgical treatment of acute and chronic sports injuries and joint conditions in patients at all stages of life.
At Sports Surgery Clinic, Mark Jackson works with a dedicated team of medical specialists, who are experts in the science and medicine related to sports injuries, athletic performance & joint replacement.